7/8/11

AAR CSS: Day 19

Florence, Day 1

Bus 75 to Termini, then Eurostar to Florence. Checked into Arco Antico, a 6- or 7-room B&B less than 500m from Santa Maria Novella (the train station). At E50 a night, I got a private bathroom, air conditioning, and TV in my room - the Centro can't boast any of that, nor is its wireless nearly as fast. My room: http://www.arcoantico.net/images/rooms/_MG_1613.jpg

Headed to the Campanile...and reached the top 414(+) steps later (I lost count and had to backtrack a few times).

As a reward, I got a few more elongated pennies (Duomo & Campanile, Palazzo Vecchio, and Ponte Vecchio). Wandered around, found out that my favorite statue (Giambologna's Rape of the Sabine Women) has probably been moved to the Accademia, which I was not about to stand in line for on this trip (I've been before), and its replacement in the Loggia dei Lanzi is under conservation. Rats.

Found my favorite gelateria (Gelateria La Carraia, on the Oltrarno side of the Ponte alla Carraia) and saw the sunset from the next bridge over, Ponte Santa Trinità. There was a Swiss man playing hang, and a family of American tourists watching him.





































No comments:

Post a Comment